The Board may establish by resolution such Standing, Special Purpose and Ad Hoc Committees as it deems appropriate or as required under legislation or through contractual obligations. Subject to any relevant legislation or contract, the Board can:
- determine their composition and the manner of selecting Chairs and members
- fix their terms of reference, reporting relationships and expected date of completion of mandate
- alter their composition, terms of reference, reporting relationships and expected date of completion of mandate, as it may deem appropriate from time to time
- dissolve committees
New Committee Structure
The Board recently approved a pilot project for board governance for the period 1 September 2012 to 31 August 2013 whereby it will meet as a Committee of the Whole twice per month to consider matters that were formerly undertaken by the standing committees of the Board. The goal of the change is to place a greater focus on strategic priorities, monitor the business of the Board and ensure effective decision-making.
For the duration of the pilot project, the business of the following standing committees* will be undertaken by the Committee of the Whole and Board. Therefore no standing committee meetings will be scheduled and the election of standing committee chairs will not be required.
- Education Committee
- Business Services Committee
- Human Resources Committee
- Strategic Planning and Priorities Committee
*Information posted regarding these committees previous to September 1, 2012 will remain accessible under the Standing Committees tab.
The Committee of the Whole will meet twice per month on the first and third Tuesday. The second Tuesday will be kept open for special Committee of the Whole meetings such as budget or accommodation reviews (In Camera session at 6:30 pm. Open, public session at 7:30 pm).