The Colonel By Secondary School community consists of caring students, staff, and parents working closely together to foster academic excellence and to ensure high academic achievement.
Our goal is to help students thrive as responsible, productive members of society while developing a strong
knowledge base, critical thinking skills, productive work habits, and employability skills.
The academic program is challenging and is designed to provide our students with a strong academic and
technological foundation for their further studies. While the Ontario Ministry of Education diploma requirements form the basis of the Academic Program at Colonel By Secondary School, students are encouraged to pursue a sound, well-rounded education and to go well beyond the mandatory requirements. Colonel By is the only non-semestered school in the OCDSB. Staff believe that a non-semestered
timetable best supports the learning needs of our students. Sustained effort over the course of the
entire year enables students to acquire both the desired knowledge base and the appropriate skills
for future successes. Acceptance of one’s responsibility as a learner is the foundation of our school as
a safe and caring learning environment.
• Colonel By offers a full range of academic programs including French Immersion, Co-operative
Education, Outdoor Education and Technology.
• Colonel By is the only OCDSB school offering the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma program.
This program is recognized by universities throughout the world.
• The Multimedia Distribution System provides Colonel By Secondary School with CougarVision, Canada’s
ﬁrst all-digital, high school television station.
• Colonel By has an outstanding Fine Arts Program including Music, Visual Arts, and Musical Theatre
• Colonel By’s excellent Interscholastic Athletics Program ranks in the top 5 schools in the NCSSAA standings
• With numerous sport teams, clubs, and student activities, Colonel By has something for everyone.
We encourage all our students to participate in our extra-curricular activities.
Carole M. Armstrong
Balazs G. Fazakas