South Carleton High School (SCHS) serves students living in the south-western sector of the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board. Our students come from Richmond, Kars, Manotick, Munster, Burritts Rapids, Riverside South, Ashton, North Gower, Stittsville, and the rural areas adjoining these communities. For over 60 years, SCHS has been recognized in the community as a school with excellent academic, athletic, and extra-curricular programs.
To provide students with a caring, community-based school that respects the individual, honours traditions, prepares students for their future, and develops citizenship through character education.
Our excellent Academic Program at SCHS provides students with a wide range of learning opportunities. We offer a comprehensive Academic Program coupled with requisite expectations that challenge our students, most of whom pursue post-secondary education. We offer Enriched courses in English (grades 9, 10, 11, 12) and Math (grades 9 and 10). We offer Advanced Placement (AP) courses and exams in grade 12 English, French, Calculus and Chemistry. AP credits may grant first year standing at many Canadian Universities. Our Creative Fine Arts Program features Visual Arts, Photography, Film Studies, Music: Instrumental & Repertoire, Dramatic Arts, and Dance. Our Social Science Program offers a wide variety of courses in Geography, History, and the Humanities. The French Immersion Program features Immersion courses in Business Studies, Canadian and World Studies, Humanities, and Science. We have an extensive Technological Studies Program supported by excellent facilities — House Construction Focus Program, Communications, Computer Networking, Manufacturing, Transportation, Construction, and Computer Engineering. Our award-winning Business Studies Program includes Computer, Entrepreneurial, and Organizational Studies. Our Health and Physical Education Department offers a wide variety of specialized courses including Outdoor Education, Male and Female Fitness, and Exercise Science. Our wide variety of course offerings are noted for supporting student success in all pathways.
• A highly successful Link Crew program matches senior student leaders with incoming grade 9 students helping to provide year-long support for their academic and social transition to secondary school.
• Specialist High Skills Majors are available to senior students of South Carleton in Construction, Manufacturing, Health and Wellness, and Information Technology.
• Impressive technological facilities for computer engineering, digital imaging, manufacturing, automotive and woodworking that allow students to explore a wide range of learning experiences.
• A fully wireless campus that supports a bring your own device model and encourages our students to be effective 21st century learners.
• Three gymnasiums, a fully equipped weight room, a spin bike room, two dance studios, three full-sized athletic fields, outdoor education facilities and over 27 interscholastic teams help support our focus on fostering healthy, well-rounded students.
• Curricular and extra-curricular programs in Leadership, Peer Support, and global awareness as well as many interest and service clubs.
• Our committed Student Services support team includes Guidance, Special Education, and a school-wide Student Success Program.
• Cooperative Education programs, Dual-Credit Programs (with Algonquin College), and other experiential learning opportunities support our students’ transition to all post-secondary pathways.
Principal: Colin Anderson
Superintendent of Instruction: Peter Gamwell