Do you learn best by doing? Do you have a strong interest in an apprenticeship occupation? If so, then OYAP may be for you!
OYAP students must meet the following requirements:
- be at least 16 years old
- have completed 16 credits towards the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) prior to starting the program
- plan to complete the OSSD
- be enrolled as a full-time student during the program
Other suggested criteria to be an OYAP student:
- be responsible and mature
- be competent in math and science
- have strong communication skills
- able to committ to a 3-4 year training program
- Apprentices are workers so they earn while they learn.
- In the next two decades, 40 per cent of new jobs will be in the skilled trades.
- More people in the skilled trades are retiring than are entering the system.
- Many peopled in skilled trades now make six-figure incomes with excellent benefits.
- The Automotive Parts Manufacturers Association forecasts a 42% vacancy rate for skilled trades by 2007.
- According to Job Futures 2000, more than one-third of the jobs created in Canada will require a skilled trade designation or a college diploma.
- Many skilled workers use their skills and experience as stepping stones towards other careers in management or go into business for themselves.