Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  1. What is the difference between the ONFE process and the new exceptional circumstances process?
  2. Generally, the Ontario Network for Education (ONFE) processes all non-parent volunteers. Due to current exceptional circumstances, the OCDSB has developed a new process by which individuals can volunteer with medium to high-risk activities. This will help to ensure that ONFE is not overburdened as they facilitate other organizations in addition to the OCDSB.

  3. What extra-curricular activities are available to volunteers?
  4. The school principal can tell you what extra-curricular activities are planned to operate in your child's school.

    • Clubs, Activities and Events
      The clubs, activities and events differ on a school by school basis and may include such things as environmental clubs, drama clubs, choir/music clubs/activities, chess club, leadership groups/activities, character development initiatives, etcetera.
    • Winter Secondary Sports
      The deadline for secondary winter sports registration is: 31 October 2012. Winter sports include:
    • Basketball Junior Boys
      Basketball Senior Boys
      Curling Boys
      Curling Girls
      Hockey OFSAA Girls
      Hockey Boys OFSAA Contact
      Skiing Alpine Boys & Girls Combined
      Skiing Nordic Boys & Girls Combined
      Snow boarding
      Volleyball Senior Girls
      Water Polo Girls
      Wrestling Boys & Girls Combined
    c. Spring Secondary Sports
    The deadline for secondary spring sports registration is: 31 March 2013. Spring sports include:
    • Baseball
    • Football, Touch Girls
    • Lacrosse
    • Rugby Junior Boys
    • Rugby Senior Boys
    • Rugby Girls
    • Soccer Junior Varsity Girls
    • Soccer Varsity Girls
    • Track & Field (Boys & Girls Combined)

    d. Elementary Sports
    The deadline for elementary sports registration varies. Please check with your school for more information. The following outlines when sports are currently scheduled for:





Cross country & Soccer

Cross Country & Touch Football
















Track and Field

Track and Field

  1. Where can I get the information I need to apply?
  2. All applicants must complete the application form and ensure their applications include two references and a summary of their qualifications for the extracurricular activity in question. All applicants must also obtain a Police Record Check from Ottawa Police Services. In order to avoid normal fees associated with obtaining a police record check, please bring the OCDSB Volunteer Police Record Check Introduction Letter, signed by a Prinicpal or a member of the senior staff, with you when obtaining the record check. A sample of the letter can be found here but you must obtain an original signed copy from a Prinicipal or from a member of senior staff at the OCDSB Administrative Offices, 133 Greenbank.

  1. Where can I get more information?
  2. Your principal is your first point of contact. If you have questions about the process, please contact Associate Director Norah Marsh at [email protected].

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.